Chef De Partie
The Chef De Partie is the person in charge of the kitchen. Everything that goes out of the kitchen is the responsibility of the Chef De Partie in the eyes of the employer; therefore, it is essential for the person with this job to be able to maintain complete control of the kitchen at all times and to command the respect of his or her kitchen staff. A Chef De Partie must be able to spot problems and resolve them quickly and efficiently, maintain a level head, and delegate many kitchen tasks simultaneously and is also charged with maximizing the productivity as well as managing the Head line cook as well as other kitchen staff (Line Cook, Kitchen Helper, OJT), whom are directly below them in the Chef’s chain of command.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• To ensure that quality culinary dishes are served on schedule and to see that any problems that arise are rectified.
• Is responsible for approving all prepared food items that leave his or her kitchen.
• Performs many administrative duties, including Managing Food Cost, Proper Inventory, Ordering, Receiving and Storing supplies, and reporting to the head of the establishment.
• Coordinates banqueting events alongside the banquet manager
• Reports and Coordinate all kitchen concerns DIRECTLY to the Executive Chef
• Provides support to the restaurants sales and marketing team
• Is involved in the training of lower kitchen staff
• Helps with menu planning
• Oversees breakfast preparation and service (for outlets with breakfast)
• Oversees food preparation, cooking and presentation in the restaurant
• Enforces safety, health and hygiene standards in the kitchen
• Troubleshoots any problems that may arise in the kitchen
• Ensures that food goes to the customers in a timely manner
• Manages and supervises the line cooks that work under them
• Manages and Consistently maintain low food cost
Skills and Specifications
A Chef de partie is required to have particular skills and knowledge that will enable them to perform their duties effectively and efficiently. A Chef De Partie’s job skills and specifications include:
• Must have a love and passion for food
• Good management and organization skills
• The ability to work under pressure
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Attention to detail and ability to identify and solve problems
• The ability to work in an environment that is openly diverse
• The ability to work without help and with a team